Monday, June 29, 2015

9mm: An interview with Rosie Claverton

One of the great things about being involved with the crime writing community as a reviewer, features writer, blogger, and attending various events, is that I get exposed to a terrific array of authors, from big-name bestsellers we all recognise to new-to-me up-and-coming scribes with a diverse variety of stories and perspectives to share. It really is a fine bunch of people, overall.

At the recent Crimefest, an excellent crime writing convention in Bristol, I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to London-based author Rosie Claverton, who has written a series of cybercrime thrillers, and is now working on a historic fantasy mystery set in Victorian times. That's certainly an interesting mix!

Today, Rosie becomes the 120th author to stare down the barrel of 9mm. Enjoy our interview!

9MM INTERVIEW WITH ROSIE CLAVERTON

1. Who is your favourite recurring crime fiction hero/detective?
Just one?? Dido Kent in the novels by Anna Dean – Jane Austen meets Miss Marple, an accidental amateur detective who finds out everyone’s secrets, never accepts anything on face value, and subtly pushes for women’s rights everywhere she goes.

2. What was the very first book you remember reading and really loving, and why?
It was probably Enid Blyton. I loved the Famous Five and Mallory Towers, but my favourites were The Five Find-Outers, the mystery-solving gang. One of my most well-worn childhood books is The Mystery of Banshee Towers. Young people solving crime really called to me – I wanted to be out chasing criminals! Alas, only sheep in my neighbourhood.

3. Before your debut crime novel, what else had you written (if anything) unpublished manuscripts, short stories, articles?
I was a terrible teen poet, and a couple of those monstrosities were published. I was also an avid fanfiction writer in my misspent youth – my first fandom was Stargate SG-1, when I was thirteen. I’ve written everything from 100-word drabbles to novel-length fiction in that space. I also have two unpublished NaNoWriMo novels languishing on my hard drive, where they should probably stay.

4. Outside of writing, and touring and promotional commitments, what do you really like to do, leisure and activity-wise?
I love to read, of course. My favourite reading space is in a hot bath, preferably with a G&T on the side. My husband and I try to introduce each other to different TV we love, but we have really divergent tastes! I like big action movies at the cinema, particularly this latest run of superhero films. And I’ve recently taken up live action roleplay and renewed my interest in Dungeons and Dragons.

5. What is one thing that visitors to your hometown should do, that isn't in the tourist brochures, or perhaps they wouldn’t initially consider?
My spiritual home is Cardiff, even if I’m currently living in London. My favourite thing to do there is take people round the Doctor Who filming locations, and Torchwood Ianto’s little shack in the Bay. One tourist destination everyone should visit is St Fagan’s, where they’ve transplanted historical houses from all over Wales into one village.

6. If your life was a movie, which actor could you see playing you?
Ooh, that’s really difficult. There aren’t many prominent British Asian actors to choose from and none I know of who share my ethnicity. But I’ll plump for Karen David, known for playing Princess Isabella in Galavant. She’s classy and she has a great singing voice (because it’s musical, right?).

7. Of your books, which is your favourite, and why?
The one no one else has seen yet! I’m working on a gaslamp fantasy mystery. It’s been an interesting transition from cybercrime in modern Cardiff to supernatural happenings in Victorian London. I’m really enjoying getting to know the characters for the first time and I think I’m becoming a better writer with every novel, so this is my best yet!

8. What was your initial reaction, and how did you celebrate, when you were first accepted for publication? Or when you first saw your debut story in book form on a bookseller’s shelf?
Stunned. I entered a Twitter pitch for Carina Press while I was half-asleep after a night shift, so I never really expected it to come to anything. My wonderful husband took me out to dinner and we drank red wine. The most surreal moment was opening it up on the Kindle – my words, where other people’s should be!

9. What is the strangest or most unusual experience you have had at a book signing, author event, or literary festival?
I recently did a Spotlight session at CrimeFest 2015 and they gave me a lectern! The room was full to the brim, with folks sitting on the floor, engaged and asking questions. It was a heady experience for me. And also drinking with Craig Robertson and Luca Veste at 2am on a Harrogate lawn. But then we’ve all been there, haven’t we? ;)


Thank you Rosie. We appreciate you taking the time to chat to Crime Watch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can read more about Rosie Claverton and her writing here: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment